Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Smiling is a choice.

I'm into week 3 back in Honduras and time continues to go fast. The first week was difficult, one of my hardest weeks here since August. But, as always, the Lord has shown his faithfulness to me daily through the little things in life that make me smile. A good friend told me today that "smiling is a choice." We can either look at the positive things throughout the day, smile when they happen, and let them bring you laughter, or we can become frustrated. Today, I chose to smile. I smiled when my Pre-K class, in their innocence, did completely the opposite of what I had envisioned when I planned a lesson using plastic paddles and small foam tennis balls. (aka, they started to crash down the mats I had used as mini nets) I smiled when my first grader ran out of the class line and went to sit on the bleachers, pretending he was in the audience and started to cheer for the empty court. I smiled at the sunshine today, despite the fact that I was cold this morning and had worn pants... causing me to sweat by 11am. I smiled today when I ate my leftovers, grateful I didn't have to cook... so I made granola instead. :)

I smiled today, and I saw the Lord's hand all around me.

The people I work with are a blessing. Whether I'm coming into my office and catch my officemate in a moment of celebration over an idea she had for a chapel lesson, or I go into the teachers' workroom and am blessed by the conversations and classroom stories. I am touched by their love, their graciousness when I bring their rowdy kids back 5 minutes late, and their smiles.

The people in my care group are a blessing. Last night I started a Beth Moore study, "The Patriarchs," with a wonderful group of teachers. And what a blessing it has been the few days I've been in it. In the very first lesson, we dug into the story of Abram, called to leave all that he knew behind, to follow the one true God, to a land he had never been before. AND HE WENT. Such a powerful message for the season I am in right now.

The children I teach every day are a blessing. Sure, they have their good days and bad days, but I can always depend on them to have energy and love for their teacher. Whenever I need a hug, I know that from 12:00-12:30 I can go out to the Pre-K and Kindergarten recess and get over 25 hugs in a matter of minutes.

The girls on my volleyball team are a blessing. There are days when going home at 3 sounds a lot better than staying until 5, but they never cease to surprise me with their effort, laughter, and occasional sarcasm that keeps me on my toes and brings me a smile.

I smiled today, and realized the more I smiled, the more I had to smile about. I'm going to smile tomorrow too. I hope you smile with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment