Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Breaking Chains


Sunday I had the amazing opportunity to go to a worship service at a homeless shelter across town. We sat down to worship with a mix and match of people... from young people addicted to glue, to adults who lived under bridges. For the service, we sang some songs a cappella, read and received a message from Psalm 68:6, "God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land," and took communion. After the service, we made bologna sandwiches, 2 per person.

I had the opportunity to talk to a few of the people when I was there. One of the girls was crying and laughing at the same time during the service. When I went over to talk to her, she only asked when we were having the meal. I explained that first we were going to worship, then have communion, and after we would eat. At that point she decided not to stick around, picked up her glue bottle from the box at the door and walked out. It saddened my heart to see her go. Another person I talked to was Oscar (top picture, far left). He was sitting eating his sandwich and I noticed that one of his feet was wrapped up and half missing. He told me that in September his foot had been run over by a car. I couldn't help but imagine what I would do in that case... go to a doctor, have surgery, and hopefully 5 months later be able to be off crutches... but what if I had no means for medical care?

My heart reaches out for all of these people. Please join me in praying for them, that their hearts may be opened to the gospel through the ministry being done. If you'd like to see more, you can go to amberinhonduras.blogspot.com. Amber is the one who runs the homeless ministry.

Thank you for your prayers! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment