Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sugar on Top

Yesterday was most likely my last day to the stadium market. (tear) I came needing bananas and eggs, and left with 3 bags full! Sometimes I just can't help myself... I'm more dangerous in a grocery store than I'd ever be in a shoe store! I walk in and start imagining all of the yummy concoctions I could make! Needless to say, when we got back, despite how tired I was, the kitchen was my playground for the next 3 hours or so.

There's a recipe that my best friend sent me a while back and have been itching to make! For the real recipe check out: www.joythebaker.com Thank you, Joy, for the inspiration for this one!

My new favorite thing to listen to while baking is scripture being read. Go to esvonline.org and check it out! Yesterday I listened to Jeremiah prophesy to the Israelites. I started out making granola... it takes an hour to bake, and anyone who knows me in the kitchen knows that there's usually something in the oven, something on the stove, and another thing keeping my hands busy!

While that was baking, I started on the bread. I started with a wheat flour based dough (mostly because I love wheat, and partially because I only had a cup and a half of white). While that was rising-and Jeremiah was telling the Israelites that they would die to disease, famine, and the sword and that birds would eat their flesh (Jeremiah 16)-I started cleaning all the veggies we had bought at the market that morning, and chopping some of the old ones for a fresh salsa to bring to the potluck last night. A few people are leaving this weekend already so this was most likely the last one. Next I made a garlic cabbage and noodles dish. (I had an hour to let the dough rise, remember.) Mom, it's similar to yours, but substitute the brown sugar for garlic and onion. So... I guess similar and completely opposite at the same time. Other than the fact that the recipe I found called for an over the top amount of butter (1 cup), and the fact that I used some strange Honduran noodles that seemed to stay rubbery yet still started to fall apart, it turned out pretty good. Granola's done! Yogurt, berries, and warm granola on top for lunch! Love it!

Then, onto the dough. Ready to be turned into a fantastic loaf of cinnamon bread!

Rolling it out. No, I don't have a rolling pin here, and I forgot to ask my neighbor if I could borrow theirs, but the glass worked just fine!

Coat with melted butter and generously sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. (I started to cut and then remembered to take a picture, ha!)

Cut the dough into strips and then into squares. This makes the wonderful "pull-apart" layers in the bread.


Then stack the squares in a loaf pan and let it rise again.

While this was rising and the Lord was telling Jeremiah that the Israelites were like good and bad figs, I chopped the delicious pineapple we bought at the market, finished the cabbage and noodles, and Adam came back and wanted some lunch (no surprise there).

And finally, the cinnamon pull-apart bread was done! It reminds me a little bit of mom's monkey bread, only in layers and not little rolls, but still delicious!

I drizzled it with some powdered sugar frosting. Yum.


A happy brother. :)

This one's going to be a new favorite recipe for sure!


God bless! I'm off to make Baked Blueberry Oatmeal for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment