Saturday, September 4, 2010

Basketball Season!

Season has started! I'm coaching 7th-8th graders and I have 6 girls on my team so far... praying that more come and none leave. The first day was a lot of review, getting back into the game, and getting to know the girls. So far, practice is a lot of ball handling, passing, and shooting. We're going over a lot of basics. Today we started to talk more about offense and defense. I have 2 girls who have never played before and they are getting better every day! We practice Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Friday is our fitness day. Because there's only 2 courts and 5 teams, each team has a fitness day once a week.

I'm realizing that it's the little things in life that make the difference. The reason I say this is because I had one of my girls say to me after practice, "I am really liking basketball so far." When we were all done, she gave me a hug at the end of practice! It took me off guard because I had been frustrated with this girl's lack of effort earlier in the practice and the whole team had to run because of it! Lesson learned: you never know when you may be touching someone's life in a positive (or negative) way. It was a great encouragement that I am blessing these girls- even when they don't do what I expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment