Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Blessed are the flexible...

"Blessed are the flexible, for they will not be bent out of shape." ~Brother Teddy Turrentine

I first heard this play on the Beatitudes when I traveled to Guatemala for a week the summer after high school. It's true. How many times do we get all bent out of shape because we wanted things to go the way we had them planned? The reason this came to mind was because yesterday.... let me tell you the story:

5:45am- BEEEEEEEP..... BEEEEEEEEP. Smack as I shut off my alarm clock and roll out of bed. I get myself ready, have some fabulous leftover baked oatmeal for breakfast as I do my devotions, and then off to school.

6:55am- Teacher devotions this morning were in 3B. Every Tuesday we rotate classrooms among the elementary school to pray for each class specifically. Mr. Osberg greats us with a smile, and then the news that a tree fell over the road that goes up the mountain. The one the bus drivers take up and the buses take down... and neither had gotten thru. It was going to be a long morning.

7:20am- The teachers go to their own classrooms and I head out to the playground to help supervise the students who arrived at the normal time because they live in the neighborhood.

8:30am- Still playing soccer, basketball, jumprope, etc. So we give them a drink and snack break.

9:00am- Still playing.

9:30am- Still playing. Buses finally start to arrive.

10:00am- School begins... 2.5 hours late. :)

Needless to say, it was a long day for everyone. We have 2 hour delays in the states, but that usually means we get to sleep in. Teachers were able to get some grading done before school, but most of the kids were waiting around for a couple hours and several didn't come to school once the buses were able to pick them up.

So, moral of the story: be flexible, and make the most of whatever circumstance you're in. I was able to cherish over 2 hours of free time with students, getting to know them better and having fun. You never know what will be thrown in your path today. Enjoy it and glorify God through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment