Thursday, September 9, 2010

One month...

I started this blog one month UNTIL the move... now it's been one month SINCE the move. Some days go fast, some go slow... but in all honesty, it's hard to believe that it's already been a month! And, here I am, sitting in my room, in my hammock, itunes on shuffle (currently listening to Christmas music)... reflecting on the day, the week, the month.

The day in review: a typical day, got up around 5:45-6, cereal for breakfast, teacher devotions at 6:55, morning duty, where I watch the kids outside until they go in at 7:20, then a day of teaching, 6 classes today. My first hour Pre-K was the best! They put a smile on my face. If you're feeling sad, teach a 5 year old how to jump rope. :) Adorable! After school, basketball practice from 3-5, a skype date with my best friend, then a little dinner and social time with my housemates, and now relaxation.

The week in review: from bad, to worse, to better, to great. I was tired on Monday and had 7 classes, all of which did not behave. I ended the day more tired than I had started. Tuesday I was already behind, not motivated, emotionally strained and physically exhausted. Recipe for disaster as a teacher. Wednesday I overslept my alarm, cut my finger preparing my lunch, and broke down in my office before classes even started. I asked God to bless me somehow... to see the beauty in the gray. And he did. He sent me a little boy in my Pre-K class to light up my morning and turn my week around. This little boy was doing push ups along with the rest of the class and started counting out loud. His counting surpassed the amount of pushups he did by at least double, but he counted all the way to 46 with few mistakes and only asking me what came after 39. Quite the feat for Pre-K. :) The rest of the class finished after counting to 10 or 12, I was handing out jump ropes, and he was still trucking along, laying on the ground and pushing himself back up again with his butt in the air, "treintidos, treintitres..." (32, 33). It's amazing how God answers prayers when you are open to listening for his voice. Sometimes he speaks loud and clear, other times it's in the innocence of a child counting. From there the day got better and better. As a teacher, you come to find out that most of the time, it's your attitude and energy that sets the mood for the class. If you're having a bad day, the only way to make it better is to change your attitude, muster up some more energy, and pray. After school yesterday I taught aerobics for teachers. (Every Mon/Fri:5:15am, Wed:5:15pm) Then, to my surprise, an invitation to play volleyball! The athletic director had found a club team playing in Tegucigalpa. I wasn't sure if I was going to play or just watch... when we got there, they were warming up for a scrimmage and told me to start warming up with them! It was sweet! Most of them knew English and wanted to practice. I spoke Spanish and they spoke English! It was great to get back on the court again! Of course it was different hearing "fuera" instead of "out" and calling "voy" or "mio" instead of mine, but the girls were so much fun. I hope to play more with them. The league is free, I just have to get transportation to the city.

So, I was going to add a month in review... but this post is getting long, and we all know that if something is too long we start to skim. :) Plus, it's getting late, and no one wants a tired aerobics instructor!

Buenos noches! Dios se beniga!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, quite the week! Thanks for sharing! I will try and keep up to date so I can be more specific in my prayers for you. I like your writing and your honesty. It's awesome to hear how God is always at work! Sounds like we are both starting bball season :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Brittany's comment "Wow, quite the week!" I also thank you for your details and time to update us and honesty so I also can pray better. You are learning so many life lessons and life blessings during this time. Molding you into a more perfect piece of clay (However, I don't see how that is possible for the already-perfect Rachel :))

    Well, we are having a crazy day. Everything is going wrong. Bad to worse.... :) Time to pray and change my attitude. Thanks for the inspiration ;) Hopefully leaving for Missouri tomorrow night after the AF v BYU game but I still have to pack and prepare everything plus deal with sick/cranky boy. Ok...kid is screaming (again). Gotta run. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete