Monday, August 9, 2010

Arrived


After so much anticipation I have finally arrived at Academia Los Pinares! What an adventure! This summer has gone incredibly fast, but not without memories that I will cherish.

July 11- The Engagement! After easily convincing me that a gentleman was willing to show him the ropes of a small plane- since he was interested in getting his license- Jared took me on a plane ride over the shores of Lake Michigan. The views were amazing! We made our way toward Holland Beach where my family was on the pier with a huge sign: WILL YOU MARRY ME? I turned away from taking pictures out the window to Jared. He turned around as best he could in the small backseat of the plane, held out he most beautiful ring I've ever seen, and asked me to marry him. It was an amazing night and I was completely surprised. I am more excited than ever to be engaged to my best friend. I love you, Jared! Now the wedding planning begins from Honduras!

July 23-August 1- The Hunt. Dad took me on an incredible hunt in the Northwest Territories. We backpacked through the Mackenzie Mountains, averaging 5 miles a day in search of Dall sheep. After 5 days he got the shot he wanted. It was 11:50 pm (it's light 21 hours a day up there in the summer). He shot a beautiful ram. What an experience! I climbed over boulder, inched my way across slippery rocks, marched through boggy hillsides, ate freeze dried, washed my hair in a mountain stream, and took tons of pictures! :) The day after he shot his ram we hiked 7 miles up a creed bed toward a herd of caribou. I shot the biggest one we saw- he was running away at 150 yards. The immediate reward: we fried up some tenderloin right there on the mountain. The tiresome reward: packing the horn, head, and cape all the way back to camp (around 55lbs.). Such an amazing trip and quality time with my dad!

August 8- Dad, mom, Jared and I arrived yesterday morning to the airport around 5am with the 4 bags that I had packed to 50lbs. Unfortunately, Tegucigalpa is one of the few destinations that Continental only allows 2 bags at 50lbs. So, there we were, the people you see digging through their luggage while everyone else is checking in. I managed to cut my luggage in half in about 20 minutes, tossing the non-necessities aside to be brought back home. It did make the morning more emotional... but I think I have most of what I need. Except an umbrella! I accidentally through that back! And it rains every day here! I'll have to get one in town. Once I got to Tegucigalpa we stopped at the church where the rest of the new teachers were, in time to catch the last song and then go out for lunch. The rest of the day was spent setting up my apartment, going to the supermercado to get a few groceries, and meeting some of the people. Everyone I have met so far has been so wonderful and generous. I went to bed early after an exhausting day!

August 9- This morning I woke up to our maid, Gloria, cleaning the kitchen! :) Today will be filled with sessions for new teachers, helping us to understand the culture and way that ALP functions.

Thank you for your support and prayers! I'll keep you updated! Check out my facebook for pictures of the engagement and the hunt if you haven't seen them yet! :) Love you all!

God Bless,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment