Sunday, August 15, 2010

One week


So, I've been here a week already! I have to say, some of it still feels like vacation. I am constantly learning new things about the school, town, culture, language, etc.

Yesterday we went to PriceSmart. It's pretty much a Costco or Sam's Club! They had everything in bulk... so of course I spent way more than I expected too! But I got things that will last me a long time! Prices here are pretty much the same as in the states. Some of the "name" brand items are more expensive but other things are cheaper. After shopping I played some basketball with other teachers and alumni for 3 hours! Then the Kolmodins had us teachers over for games and snacks. They live right across the street from the school. Just another example of the generosity and community that I'm experiencing here so far!

Today I went for a walk up the mountain before church. It's about an hour walk to the top and around a loop. Not quite as intense as NWT because we're on the road and I don't have a pack on my back, but it's a pretty good climb! After that I went to Impacto Church. It's a Spanish church with an English translation. For lunch, there was a fiesta at the Catholic church across the street. I experienced my first pupusa, a food that looks like a pancake, made out of cornmeal with cheese and beans in the middle. It was very good! And only cost 35 limperas= almost $2. Now I'm relaxing... actually pretty tired. Hopefully I can sleep. The dogs and birds sometimes keep me up. In addition, the Catholic church has been shooting off fireworks every now and then. Usually at night or early morning.

I'll try to take more pictures this week of the school. The one posted is of the new teachers last Sunday after we went out to eat.

Prayer request: School starts on Thursday!!! Pray that I can get everything prepared that I need to, and that everything goes smoothly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment